May 31, 2015 in Residential Locks
If you want to secure your home but don’t know where to start. You can take our 6 point security check, have a look around your home to see if you are satisfied with what you have got and if you are happy it is going to keep you, your loved ones and your personal valuables safe and secure.
If you are unsure about even one thing or just need peace of mind, we at Savage Locksmiths are more than happy to come to you and give a FREE quote on any upgrades required.
1. Secure Your Doors. Installing Deadlocks on all of your exterior doors helps to secure your home in two ways. Firstly, they can help reduce the ability of an intruder forcing the door open to gain entry. Secondly, if an intruder has broken into your home via a smashed/broken window they are unable to exit through your doors because they are deadlocked and have to go back out through the same broken window.
2. Secure Your Windows. Protect your windows with good quality Window locks. There are many different varieties of window locks available to suit most window styles. The majority of modern homes are often fitted with lockable window locks which are made from plastic. It is a good idea to fit a more resilient style of window lock to help prevent break-ins by forcing these windows.
3. Lock Your Gates. A fair amount of break-ins occur at the rear of the house where intruders can not be seen from everyday street traffic. Locking your gate can be one of the more effective and deterring methods of protecting your home and property but it is often the most over looked. By installing a quality Gate lock you are able to lock or unlock your gate from either side and control who enters your backyard.
4. Change Your Locks Immediately. Have you just moved into a new house? Has one of the kids lost a key somewhere? Can’t find that spare key that was outside under the rock? Have you had a handbag stolen from your car? Who knows how many keys have been cut over the years by the previous tenant/owner and who has a copy? By having your locks Re-keyed you can be sure that you are the only person to have the keys to your home. You may also consider having the convenience of one key by having all you locks keyed alike.
5. Secure Your Valuables. By installing a Home safe you can keep your irreplaceable memories, documents and valuables secure. It is important to fasten your safe to the ground, preferably bolted to the concrete floor, to avoid the safe being carried away by any potential intruders. There are many types of safes to choose from, you can read our blog, Do you need a home safe? for more information. We recommend that before purchasing your safe you consider what it is that you want to keep in it as well as the level of protection you may require.
6. Secure Your Spare Key. So you are organised that you don’t lock yourself out of the house with a hidden spare key. Instead of hiding your spare key in the letterbox or under rock in the garden, install a good quality Key safe to store your spare key. The Key safe can be securely attached to an external wall or secure post and it’s combination lock provides security and easy access in a matter of urgency.
Take the time to check your home is secure before it is to late. If you need help or assistance we are just a phone call away on 0413318906.
Stay safe and secure